Education’s role in data protection
Data plays a significant role in the modern education system by providing an abundance of opportunities for students, staff and operations. Schools increasingly process personal information to realise these benefits.
Daily schools digitally process, share and store students’ personal information to fulfil purposes from admissions, attendance and catering through to school trips, safeguarding and student progress and support management…the list is endless and all very necessary.
Reliability on data processing continues to grow in the education sector.
Data protection laws have strengthened to ensure the effective custodianship of children’s data and schools have the additional responsibility to ensure the protection of the personal information that they process.
As a data controller under the GDPR, schools must have the appropriate measures in place to protect students’ personal information. Also to allay any staff fears around sharing personal information which may otherwise stand in the way of protecting children who require this for safeguarding and support.
Data protection obligations can’t stand in the way of promoting children’s welfare.
Data protection challenges schools face daily
- Email communications between staff and with third parties
- Digital File sharing between staff and with third parties
- The struggle to support and secure numerous devices and platforms
- Staff increasingly working outside of school hours and off school premises
- Processing and storing of personal information on school systems, networks and devices
- Securing personal information processed by multifunction devices
- Digital file storage across multiple locations
- Sending emails and personal information to the wrong recipient in error
- The inability to recall information if sent to the wrong recipient in error
- IT and security audits for compliance purposes
- The signature process of digital documents, especially when multiple signatures are required
- Managing compliance responsibilities with the GDPR and PCI-DSS
Galaxkey addresses your data protection & compliance needs
Encourage data protection awareness, empower staff and reduce their anxiety around protecting personal information.
Extremely quick to implement and easy to use with minimal disruption to the school and staff as very little training is required.
Seamless integration and streamlined data protection that’s easily managed from one intuitive central console.
No additional infrastructure costs and one platform for all your data protection requirements for any data, on any device and anywhere.